PALM SPRINGS ART COLLECTION
Established in 1938, Palm Springs Art Museum has become the center of the desert's art community.
What began as a museum about the desert has evolved into an oasis for the arts, focusing on international Modern and Contemporary painting and sculpture by artists such as Henry Moore, Barbara Hepworth, Robert Motherwell, Helen Frankenthaler, Duane Hanson, John Chamberlin, Anselm Keifer, and Anthony Gormley. It includes works by historically significant west coast artists Sam Francis, Robert Arneson, Nathan Oliveira, Mark di Suvero, and Edward Ruscha, among others, as well as contemporary Native American artists. Additional areas of focus include Contemporary and Studio Art Glass by Dale Chihuly, Karen LaMonte, Howard Ben Tré, Lynda Benglis, and William Morris; Classic Western American Art by Thomas Moran, Charles Russell, Frederic Remington, Walter Ufer, and Agnes Pelton; Native American baskets; Mesoamerican artifacts; and Photography with special attention to natural, built, social, and leisure environments. The modern building, designed by renowned California architect E. Stewart Williams and newly renovated, is the focal point of the 150,000-square-foot complex. Architecture holdings include the Albert Frey Archive and Frey House II, the E. Stewart Williams Architecture Archive, and a drawings collection, including works by prominent architects Richard Neutr valign="top"a, Frank Gehry, and Daniel Libeskind among others