For more information:
Manager of Volunteer Programs
Enrichment Trip Coordinators:
John Read & Peggy Porter
Peggy Porter & Kurt Penn
Jackie Lockington & John Read
Tour Day Captain:
The Palm Springs Art Museum's Docent Council is made up of generous volunteers who are passionate about art and life long learning. Our docents connect visitors to the art work in our galleries and provide positive museum experiences for adults and school children.
The Palm Springs Art Museum (PSAM) is recruiting friendly, enthusiastic Docent Council volunteers to lead school tours for students grades K-12, and “looking at art” experiences for adults and multi-generational audiences. The Palm Springs Art Museum in Palm Springs (PSAM) includes The Architecture and Design Center (A+D) in Palm Springs, and the Palm Springs Art Museum in Palm Desert - The Galen and The Faye Sarkowsky Sculpture Garden.
The Ideal Docent Candidate:
- Is a life-long learner and wants to encourage the same in others;
- Is open to learning about a variety of types of art as well as strategies for connecting people with art;
- Demonstrates excellent communication skills, including the use of email and a web-based scheduling program for communication with museum staff and volunteers;
- Is eager to work as part of a dynamic team of staff and volunteers;
- Possesses excellent customer services skills and a strong desire to serve their community.
- Opportunity to share a world-class museum collection and temporary exhibitons with the public
- Invitation to member- and docent-only events
- Training in museum best practices, public speaking, and art history
- Enrichment opportunities including trips to area museums
- Opportunity to meet other art and education enthusiasts
- PSAM membership. Docent Council members are annual members of the museum.
- Docent Council annual membership upon becoming a docent.
- Prospective docents must commit to attending a mandatory orientation week from October 22-26, 2018 and monthly training meetings through April 2019.
Click HERE to view, print and or download the application.
Upon completion of the New Docent Application, please either mail it to:
Palm Springs Art Museum
PO Box 2310
Palm Springs, CA 92263
Attn: Daniel Hogan